The Face Shop Professional Make-Up Base in #02 Violet Review
A good primer makes a good canvas. It makes your face smoother even before makeup application and it prolongs the makeup on your face. I also consider primer as a barrier between your makeup and your skin. There are a few things that I look for in a primer. The most important factor is that it should help my makeup to last on my face throughout the day with minimal or no retouching at all. It should contribute in a smooth and even makeup application. For those with oily skin, it should aid in oil control, keeping your face matte and oil-free. For those with dry skin, it shouldn’t make your face any drier.
I’ve never thought I would be interested in primers. I use a foundation that really delivers, so I thought I won’t have any reason to use a primer and thought it was out of my makeup budget. But naturally, I gave in to recommendations from beauty articles and enthusiastically searched for locally available primers. I was pleased to have found a corrective primer in one of the stores that I used to frequent, the Korean-based store The Face Shop. I was choosing between green, which is supposed to neutralize redness, and this violet base which is supposed to neutralize yellow tone, therefore making it look brighter. The violet one won me over because I need more skin brightening.
Here’s what they say about their violet makeup base (from The Face Shop website):
The Face Shop Professional Make-Up Base in #02 Violet
This line is ideal for oily skin cause of oil-free non-sticky and soft texture. It also covers blemishes effectively.
Violet neutralizes and brightens yellow tone for healthier complexion.
What I like about The Face Shop Professional Make-Up Base in #02 Violet:
- It covers some blemishes which I was not anticipating since this is only a base.
- It makes my dull skin look brighter, instantly makes my face look glowing
- Surprisingly blendable enough for its somewhat thick consistency
- Sometimes I don’t need to apply foundation because this alone evens out my complexion, so I just dab on loose powder and I’m done
- Makes my skin look smooth and pore less upon application
- Doesn’t cake up on me
- Doesn’t make my skin break out
- Smells nice, not overpowering
- A little goes a long way. You only need a teeny bit amount for the whole face
- Locally available
- For the amount of product that you get, it’s very affordable. I forgot the exact price but it’s less than Php 400 in The Face Shop stores
What I don’t like about The Face Shop Professional Make-Up Base in #02 Violet:
- Doesn’t have oil control. I have dry-combination skin but this product makes my face feel heavy and greasy after a couple of hours
- Didn’t prolong my foundation makeup
- Leaves a whitish cast if not blended well and if applied too much
- If you’re not too careful when applying, you’ll end up with a very cakey face. Always remember to apply this sparingly
After. Notice how it smoothened and brightened up my skin.
As I’ve mentioned earlier, apply this sparingly or you’ll end up looking ghastly with all the white cast that this product can leave. I use my fingers to apply so I can control how much of the product I want to put. Also, don’t forget to moisturize before applying this as it has the tendency to emphasize dry patches if your skin is not well moisturized. Wait for the moisturizer to be absorbed before applying the base.
I’ve been using this product for months now and I’m not even halfway of the container. I don’t use it very often since it leaves me greasy at times, so I usually skip it. I would probably not repurchase since it doesn’t do much oil control and even does otherwise to me, but it’s really of decent quality for its price.
The Face Shop Wrinkle Repair Lipstick Review
The Face Shop Base Coat and Top Coat Review
The Face Shop Lovely ME:EX Pencil Sponge Eyebrow
The Face Shop Nail Polish
The Body Shop Face & Body, Blusher, Mineral Foundation Brush
ELF Professional Crease Brush and Professional Eye Defining Brush
MUA Professional Heaven and Earth Eyeshadow Palette
What is a Makeup Base: Ask IMBB
L’oreal Paris Base Magique Transforming Smoothing Primer
Coloressence Liquid Lip Colour Vibrant Violet
Victoria’s Secret Beauty Rush Wet/ Dry Shadow Violet Femme and Gold Rush
L’Oreal Endless Lipstick: Violet Attitude