I have never been a foundation person because I think it would always be the culprit whenever my makeup goes bad after a few hours. See, I have fairly oily skin and I am slightly acidic so whenever I wear foundation, it would oxidize and completely turn orange and will just melt off of my face in a matter of three hours or so. I was always better off without any face base. I would just use a bit of concealer, cheek tint, and mascara and I’m good to go. However, I cannot deny the fact that there would always be days when my skin needs the extra help in terms of coverage, when my skin’s acting badly that no bb creams or tinted moisturizers are enough.
Three weeks ago, I visited a local Shiseido counter near my place. It was a pretty spontaneous visit although I have been thoroughly researching this product for so long now. I ended up going home with my own bottle of Shisiedo Sun Protection Liquid Foundation. I love it and I think my search for HG foundation is nearing to a stop.
Product Description (from the box):
“A liquid foundation that defends against powerful UVA/UVB rays as it provides a flawless makeup finish. Resists perspiration, water, and oil, to maintain a soft matte look on skin, even during outdoor activities.”
When you buy this, you’re going to get a blue box containing the foundation (30 ml) cased in a plastic bottle with a nozzle for easier dispensing, a leaflet for precaution, and a rectangle sponge case with a sponge. The sponge it came with was honestly a bit useless. It seemed as if it was made from cheap material and the pores were so huge, big enough to soak up all the product you’re going to use it with. I threw it away after one use. The dispenser was pretty convenient for me, less hassle than an open tip packaging or pump types.
Shisiedo Sun Protection Liquid Foundation - Pros:
• Extremely superior staying power. It sticks to your face like glue. It’s perfect for those who like to swim in makeup (which I personally find odd and don’t recommend) because it will literally cling on to your face, especially if used on bare face without any moisturizer or primer.
• Price point is between “drugstore” and high-end price. It is not that affordable but it isn’t as expensive as other foundations that are more high-end. I actually can’t complain because the price justifies the product performance.
• Convenient for traveling. It’s small enough to be carried around for travelling without the cautions that come with glass bottles.
• Readily available at leading beauty department stores and local Shiseido stores.
• Smells pleasant but nothing that triggers my allergy.
• Relatively good shade selection. I have it in SP40 and I am actually an SP50 but the counter did not have the SP50 in stock. The SP40 works just fine. To be honest, their shade range is versatile enough.
• Does not oxidize to an ugly bronze/orange color. This is a definite plus for me.
• Easily blendable due to its runny texture.
• Has a semi-matte finish. I really love the finish of this. I have oily skin and this gives me a nice subtle glowy finish that has a slight matte effect. Can’t fully describe it.
• Takes me hours before I blot. Usually, by the third hour the oil will start peeping. But it depends on the weather and the environment actually.
• Not only does it have a high SPF of 43, it also protects from UVA/UVB rays. And no, there’s really no white cast with this one.
• It really is sweat proof and oil resistant. It also appears natural like second skin.
Shisiedo Sun Protection Liquid Foundation - Cons:
• Might be already expensive for some considering the amount you get. But again, as I’ve said, the price is very much justified by how the product delivers.
• For those who hate skin products fragrance, this might turn you off a bit.
• Sponge it came with is useless
• The coverage can only go as far as medium. For heavier coverage, a concealer might be helpful.
• Might need a stronger makeup remover with this one.
It took me about a week to figure out the best way to use this. It works best by applying it either with your bare fingers or by a latex sponge. Using a brush would be quite useless, as it tends to adhere to the bristles, which makes it hard to clean. Using it with the fingers is okay too but I find that using a damp sponge works best because for some reason, it lasts longer whenever I apply it this way. I bought a pack of 32 latex wedges to use this with, which I dispose of after each use.
I cannot stress enough how much I am in love with this. Everything I need is already in this little amazing product. My only side complain is that most of the Shiseido counters I’ve been to ran out of the shade I initially wanted but no big deal, really. I might consider this a holy grail if the succeeding foundations I will try fail to impress me. This is the first cosmetic product that I’ve tried from Shiseido and I’m happy to say that it gave me a good impression of the brand.
Overall Rating: 5 out of 5.
Shiseido The Makeup Dual Balancing Foundation Review, FOTD
Shiseido White Lucent Brightening Moisturizing Emulsion Review
Shiseido Eyelash Curler Review
Shiseido: The Makeup Stick Foundation Review
Himani Boro Plus Healthy Skin Herbal Sun Protection Lotion
Nivea Sun Moisturizing Immediate Sun Protection
Biotique Sun Protection SPF 75 Review
Shahnaz Forever Sun Protective Cream SPF 40
Pond’s Oil Control Talc Orange Peel Extract Sun Protection TPI 60
Liquid Neutrogena Pure Mild Facial Cleanser
Avon Solutions Body Liquid Bra
Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner Review
Maybelline Lip Gloss Water Shine Liquid Diamond Slims review