MAC Fluidline Eyeliner Gel in Blacktrack Review
Bobbi Brown, Maybelline, MAC. These are the brands that come into my mind whenever gel liners are mentioned. These are the most popular because many people attest to their effectiveness, plus the fact that they’re known to be the most long-lasting when it comes to gel liners.
I haven’t tested Bobbi Brown’s or Maybelline’s gel liners so I can’t really compare them. I only have the MAC gel liner which I’m giving a review for today.
MAC describes the Fluidline Eyeliner Gel in Blacktrack as a “solid flat black”. I was glad that it’s very black without a hint of gray or blue (or green!) in it. But I thought it could be a little darker, given that it’s not too dark upon the first swipe.
Product description from MAC:
Ultra-smooth, Fluidline’s gel formula provides the precision of a liquid liner with a silkier, softer finish. Goes on “foolproof” with a brush in an easy dip-and-stroke action. Long-wearing. Smudge-proof. Lines up in a rich array of colours and finishes.
ISODODECANE, CYCLOPENTASIL OXANE, POLYETHYLENE, TRIMETHYL SILOXYSILICATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, PRORYLENE CARBONATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, RETINYL PALMITATE, LECITHIN, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, CERAMIDE 2, HEXYLENE GLYCOL, BARIUM SULFATE, BHT, PHENOXYETHANOL[+/- MICA, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891). IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163). BLUE 1LAKE (CI 42090), CARMINE (CI 75470), CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS (CI 77288), FERRIC FERROC YANIDE (CI 77510), MANGANESE VIOLET (CI 77742), ULTRAMARINES (CI 77007), YELLOW 5 LAKE(CI 19140)]
What I like about MAC Fluidline Eyeliner Gel in Blacktrack:
- True black in color, not grayish or bluish
- Creamy consistency that leaves a matte finish
- Glides on smoothly on my upper lids, I don’t have to tug my eyelids
- Perfect for making a “cat eye” look
- Buildable. You can pile on this and it doesn’t flake even for a bit.
- Dries easily so it doesn’t smudge upon application
- Sleek and sophisticated packaging
- A little goes a long way, two or three dips are enough for each eye
- Can be easily washed off with makeup remover
What I don’t like about MAC Fluidline Eyeliner Gel in Blacktrack:
- Without eye primer, it tends to transfer down to under eyes
- Not long-wearing, smudges on me after a few hours
- Not waterproof or sweat-proof
- Requires eye primer / base to last long
- Can’t trust this on my waterline because it easily melts and runs down
- Hefty price tag. This eyeliner sells for 1,100 Php in local MAC stores.
I’ve had this eyeliner for quite some time now so it has already dried up a bit, but it’s still usable and in fact, the eyeliner, being dried, has diminished the smudging galore. I use this gel liner with a flat eyeliner brush or an angled brush that is sturdy enough and not flimsy. I highly recommend MAC 266 eyeliner brush, but of course there are other cheaper options. Some use a bent eyeliner brush because it’s easier to glide on, therefore creating a more precise line.
It could be the perfect gel liner if only it were more long lasting and would not smudge after a few hours. Despite the cons that come with this eyeliner, I still love it. I can create the perfect “cat eye” out of this, which I can’t make with liquid liners. I also love that you only need a teeny bit of this for your eyes, so a single pot can really last you long. Would I buy this again? I absolutely will. But of course, I’m still open to try out other gel liners, hoping to find something that could match up to MAC’s.
7 MAC Pink Lipsticks Photos, Swatches
MAC Spirit Lipstick Review
Foundation : MAC Mineralize SPF 15 Foundation Review + Look
MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle Review
MAC Avenue Fluidline Review, Swatch, FOTD
MAC Fluidline Blacktrack vs Wet ‘n’ Wild Eyes Crème Liner Black
Gel Liner : MAC Fluidline In Dipdown Review
MAC Siahi Fluidline Eye makeup tutorial